Renovation budget for a 160 m² country home in Amsterdam — what am I missing?

dev_west

Property investor
€141,900 is the figure I am trying to test for renovating a 160 m² country home in Amsterdam. The allowance includes work to the kitchen and bathrooms, new floor finishes, decorating, electrical inspection and some energy improvements. I am not proposing an extension.

I am more concerned about inaccessible plumbing, moisture and work uncovered during demolition than about upgrading the finishes. If the structure and services are sound, a normal contingency may be enough; if floors or walls must be opened, the budget could change quickly. What contingency would you keep unallocated, and which surveyor or contractor checks would best expose those risks before I rely on this total?
 
I’d carry roughly 15–20% until the electrical scope, plumbing routes and moisture risks are clearer. “Electrical checks” is especially vague: ask what happens if the inspection identifies replacement work, and whether making good afterward is included. Also request a written exclusions list covering demolition, waste removal, access, temporary protection and repairs behind removed finishes.
 
How old are the bathrooms and kitchen, and can any pipework be inspected without opening floors or walls? Plumbing access could affect both the cost and the order of work. I’d also ask whether the €141,900 includes design fees, permit-related time or costs, and temporary accommodation if water or power must be off.
 
I wouldn’t automatically add 20% to every line. A better approach may be to separate known work from an explicit discovery allowance, then delay final flooring and painting commitments until intrusive work is complete.

Before signing, ask each contractor for assumptions, exclusions, material lead times and a room-by-room sequence. Confirm whether any energy upgrades or concealed moisture damage could trigger structural work, despite no extension being planned. Permit requirements and timing can depend on the exact work, so clarify that locally before fixing the programme.
 
Back
Top