Renovation budget for a 175 m² studio in Singapore

KeenInk

Property investor
Established
The headline budget is only the starting point. My specific concern is concealed remedial work, particularly moisture damage or structural issues uncovered after surfaces are opened.

I am using S$294,200 as a preliminary figure for renovating a 175 m² studio in Singapore, including kitchens, bathrooms, floors, painting, electrical checks and some energy improvements, but not an extension. Before setting the contingency, which investigations would you commission and which contractor exclusions would you challenge? If intrusive checks are possible, I would prefer to price the findings; if not, I need a sensible allowance that also accounts for access, sequencing and long-lead materials.
 
I would provisionally carry 15–20% until the intrusive checks and contractor exclusions are clearer, then revisit it. Ask who pays for concealed wiring defects, inaccessible plumbing, waterproofing failures and making good after opening walls or floors. Also confirm whether electrical upgrades require more than checks, where plumbing can actually be accessed, and which materials have long lead times.
 
I’m not convinced a larger percentage alone solves this. The key missing fact is whether the studio remains occupied or operational during the works, because phased access can create more sequencing risk than the finishes themselves. Before fixing the contingency, request a room-by-room programme tied to permit timing, material delivery and inspection points. I’d also have moisture-prone areas examined before pricing is final, and require exclusions to be written against specific tasks rather than buried in a general clause.
 
Back
Top