cyclesAndWindow
Property investor
A flat contingency feels arbitrary, but setting aside a large general reserve without breaking down the risks is not comfortable either. I’m testing an IDR 4,858,000,000 renovation budget for a 40 m² Jakarta apartment, with internal refurbishment and energy improvements planned but no extension.
The visible finishes are not my main concern. Hidden moisture, failed waterproofing, inaccessible plumbing, electrical replacement or unexpected structural work could disrupt the sequence and consume the reserve quickly. How would you divide contingency between unresolved design choices and concealed conditions? I also want to know what the surveyor, building management and bidders should inspect or open up before prices are fixed.
The visible finishes are not my main concern. Hidden moisture, failed waterproofing, inaccessible plumbing, electrical replacement or unexpected structural work could disrupt the sequence and consume the reserve quickly. How would you divide contingency between unresolved design choices and concealed conditions? I also want to know what the surveyor, building management and bidders should inspect or open up before prices are fixed.