Renovation budget for a 650 sq ft coastal home in Toronto

bram.winter

Homeowner
One approach is to set a generous reserve now; the other is to investigate every uncertainty before fixing the budget. I am caught between them because both could distort the figure in different ways.

The working allowance is C$600,800 for a 650 sq ft coastal home in Toronto. The intended work includes new kitchen and bathroom areas, replacement floors, decorating, an electrical review and some energy-efficiency improvements. I am not proposing an addition, but I do not yet know whether moisture damage or building movement could force structural repairs.

Before committing to that number, what contingency would be sensible? I would also like to know what evidence to request on wiring, pipe access and damp, and which contractor exclusions, permit issues or long-lead materials should be recorded in the scope rather than left as assumptions.
 
Back
Top