Renovation budget for a 70 m² detached home in Doha?

compass.fresh

Homeowner
Established
The QAR 340,200 total looked comfortable until I started listing the work that could be hidden behind walls and floors. This is a preliminary budget for renovating a 70 m² detached home in Doha. The plan is to refit the kitchen and bathrooms, replace flooring, repaint, check the electrics and make modest efficiency improvements. There is no proposed structural enlargement.

What contingency would be sensible before any opening-up work? I want the surveyor and contractors to focus on plumbing access, moisture sources and the true electrical requirement rather than debating finishes.

I also need a clearer programme showing trade sequencing, permit assumptions and material lead times. Which evidence should I request before reducing the contingency: moisture readings, access inspections, an electrical assessment, written allowances, or firm supplier dates? Every exclusion and responsibility for making good would need to be stated as well.
 
I would initially reserve around 15%, then reduce it only after opening-up risks and contractor exclusions are clearer. Ask whether the price includes replacing concealed plumbing, repairing substrates after tiles come off, distribution-board or wiring work, moisture remediation, waste removal and making good. Also insist that every exclusion and allowance is written down. “Kitchen and bathrooms included” can conceal a lot of undefined work.
 
How old is the house, and will it be occupied during the renovation? Those two facts could change both sequencing and cost. I’d also ask where the bathroom and kitchen pipework can actually be reached. If access requires removing more flooring or wall finishes than assumed, the stated scope expands quickly.
 
I wouldn’t automatically hold 15% against the whole QAR 340,200. If major materials and fixtures are fixed-price orders, contingency is more useful against the uncertain labour and hidden-condition portions. On the other hand, “no extension” does not eliminate structural risk: cracks, wet areas and altered openings still deserve inspection. Separate genuine contingency from optional upgrades, or finish changes will consume it.
 
Before appointing anyone, turn the scope into a room-by-room schedule and have bidders respond to the same list. Include who disconnects and reconnects services, who protects completed work, and whether lead times affect the programme. Get clarity on any Doha approval or permit timing applicable to the planned work rather than assuming none is needed. I’d sequence investigation first, then electrical and plumbing decisions, wet-area repairs, finishes, and final testing.
 
Back
Top