ravi_taxes
Homeowner
I would like to fix the programme and keep the London renovation within £85,960, but the unknown work behind existing finishes makes that difficult. The property is a 700 sq ft serviced apartment, and the plan includes kitchen and bathroom work, flooring, decoration, electrical testing and modest energy improvements. No extension is intended.
Before agreeing a price, I want clarity on plumbing access, signs of moisture, the likely electrical scope, building-management approvals and anything the contractor has excluded. Material availability could also disrupt the order of work even where the cost allowance is adequate.
Would you hold a broad contingency until surveys and opening-up are complete, then reduce it once the scope is firm? My provisional rule is to accept a smaller reserve if access and testing produce clean results, but retain a larger one if moisture, electrical upgrades or long-lead materials remain unresolved. Which checks should happen before that decision?
Before agreeing a price, I want clarity on plumbing access, signs of moisture, the likely electrical scope, building-management approvals and anything the contractor has excluded. Material availability could also disrupt the order of work even where the cost allowance is adequate.
Would you hold a broad contingency until surveys and opening-up are complete, then reduce it once the scope is firm? My provisional rule is to accept a smaller reserve if access and testing produce clean results, but retain a larger one if moisture, electrical upgrades or long-lead materials remain unresolved. Which checks should happen before that decision?