Renovation budget for a 75 m² studio in Mumbai

countTheWall

Homeowner
I’ve now set aside ₹8,701,000 for renovating a 75 m² studio in Mumbai, which raises a question about how much of that sum should remain uncommitted. The work is limited to the kitchen, bathrooms, floors, decoration, electrical review and modest efficiency improvements; I am not adding space or altering the structure.

My bigger worries are concealed wiring, plumbing access and moisture behind finished surfaces. What should contractors expressly exclude or price as provisional work, and which inspections are worth arranging before quotations? I also need to understand whether building approvals or permits could delay the sequence. If the unknowns consume too much of the budget, I would reduce the specification rather than rely on cash becoming available later.
 
I would provisionally hold 15–20%, but keep it separate rather than letting it disappear into the contractor’s base price. Ask for written exclusions covering concealed wiring, pipe replacement, waterproofing failure, debris removal, access restrictions and work required by the building. Also ask which materials must be ordered before demolition and whether alternatives are available if lead times slip.
 
Before settling on a percentage, how old is the building, is the studio occupied, and can plumbing lines be reached without opening finished areas outside the unit? A contingency cannot compensate for an undefined electrical or waterproofing scope. I’d arrange targeted inspection of the distribution board, wet areas and visible moisture signs, then have contractors price the same written scope.
 
I’m less comfortable with automatically reserving 20% if the current estimate already contains generous allowances. First separate fixed work, provisional sums and owner-selected finishes; otherwise contingency may be counted twice.

For sequencing, confirm building access and approval requirements, investigate moisture and plumbing before ordering cabinetry, resolve the electrical scope before closing walls, and only then lock flooring and paint dates. Have each bidder state permit or building-approval assumptions, material lead times, payment stages and who pays when concealed conditions force a change.
 
Back
Top