Renovation contingency for a 240 m² student housing unit in Dubai

AdaHope

Homeowner
Established
If the sequence is wrong, a manageable renovation could turn into repeated opening-up and reinstatement work. I’m therefore testing the AED 692,900 budget for a 240 m², two-bedroom student housing property in Dubai before committing to finishes.

The intended work includes kitchens and bathrooms, new flooring and paint, electrical testing and some energy improvements. There is no planned extension, but I still want confirmation that no structural intervention is being assumed or excluded.

What contingency would be reasonable before opening-up inspections? I also want the surveyor and contractor to identify plumbing access, moisture risk, electrical follow-on work, approvals, exclusions and responsibility for delays. Would you ask for alternative materials with shorter lead times now, or wait until the detailed scope separates firm prices from provisional items?
 
At this stage I’d carry around 15%, then reconsider it after opening-up inspections and a detailed scope. Ask whether the price includes access panels, removal and disposal, reinstatement after investigations, testing, temporary shutdowns and work arising from failed electrical checks. Also clarify who handles building approvals and what happens if permits or specified materials delay the sequence. Will the property be vacant throughout the work?
 
I wouldn’t rely on one contingency percentage to cover everything. “Electrical checks” could remain a small item or expose a separate scope, while bathroom work depends heavily on plumbing access and any moisture behind finishes. Get the contractor to divide the AED 692,900 into firm work, provisional allowances and exclusions, with a room-by-room sequence. Price alternative readily available materials now as well; that protects the programme better than simply enlarging the contingency.
 
Back
Top