I can either reserve a large part of the renovation fund for hidden defects or allocate more of it to the known work, and neither option feels comfortable without better information. This is a 60 m² coastal-style home in Bengaluru priced at ₹52,190,000, with ₹12,470,000 provisionally set aside for renovation.
The scope currently covers the kitchen, bathrooms, floors, painting, electrical checks and moderate energy improvements. There is no extension planned, although I realise opening walls or repairing damaged areas could still reveal structural work. Finishes can be postponed; unsafe wiring, leaks or drainage faults cannot.
What size reserve would be sensible before inspections, and where would targeted opening-up be most useful? I would particularly want the surveyor or contractor to examine moisture, electrical condition, drainage and access to concealed plumbing. The meaning of “coastal” also needs checking, as actual salt or moisture exposure would change the risk.
The scope currently covers the kitchen, bathrooms, floors, painting, electrical checks and moderate energy improvements. There is no extension planned, although I realise opening walls or repairing damaged areas could still reveal structural work. Finishes can be postponed; unsafe wiring, leaks or drainage faults cannot.
What size reserve would be sensible before inspections, and where would targeted opening-up be most useful? I would particularly want the surveyor or contractor to examine moisture, electrical condition, drainage and access to concealed plumbing. The meaning of “coastal” also needs checking, as actual salt or moisture exposure would change the risk.