If the sequencing is wrong, the cost could rise well beyond any saving on finishes. I’m assessing a 970 sq ft Manchester apartment priced at £526,500, with an initial renovation allowance of £157,200.
The work covers the kitchen, bathrooms, floors, decorating, electrical assessment and some energy improvements. No extension is intended, but I still want to rule out structural problems before committing. Contractor quotes are hard to compare because access, remedial work and making good are treated differently in each one.
How much contingency would you keep outside the stated budget? I’d also like to know what should be established first about concealed wiring and plumbing, moisture, approvals and building access. Long lead-time materials concern me too, since one delayed item could hold up several trades.
The work covers the kitchen, bathrooms, floors, decorating, electrical assessment and some energy improvements. No extension is intended, but I still want to rule out structural problems before committing. Contractor quotes are hard to compare because access, remedial work and making good are treated differently in each one.
How much contingency would you keep outside the stated budget? I’d also like to know what should be established first about concealed wiring and plumbing, moisture, approvals and building access. Long lead-time materials concern me too, since one delayed item could hold up several trades.