Rent increase versus retaining a reliable studio tenant in Doha

keen_radar

Landlord
Self-managing this Doha studio was straightforward until I moved farther away, so I may be undervaluing the hassle of a changeover. Comparable asking rent appears close to QAR 11,230, while the current tenant pays about QAR 8,852 reliably and looks after the property.

I’m considering a modest increase rather than trying to close that whole gap. How would you weigh the higher rent against possible vacancy, refurbishment, deposit handling and the loss of a dependable tenant? I also want to approach the review within Qatar’s current notice rules and without damaging the relationship.
 
A full jump toward QAR 11,230 risks losing a good tenant. A very small rise leaves a large gap from the current QAR 8,852. Neither choice is comfortable until the comparables show what similar studios actually secure, not merely what landlords request.

Work out the cost of vacancy, cleaning, repairs, deposit administration and the extra travel caused by a changeover. Then compare that with phased increases and check the tenant’s payment record and maintenance history. Once the numbers are clear, offer a renewal amount that reflects both the market evidence and the value of retaining someone dependable, using the locally required notice and timing.
 
I’d be cautious about assuming “reliable tenant” automatically means no meaningful increase. The gap is QAR 2,378 on the same rental basis, which is substantial. How old are the comparables, and are they genuinely similar studios in condition, furnishing and location?

Get a realistic estimate of vacancy time and changeover work, document the present condition and deposit position, then decide your minimum acceptable renewal rent. A calm conversation before formal notice may reveal whether the tenant would accept a phased adjustment.
 
Back
Top