Rent increase versus retaining a reliable studio tenant in Manchester

mellow_quill

Homeowner
I need to settle my approach before the next rent discussion, and the trade-off is only about £410 if both figures are annual. The tenant currently pays roughly £5,664 for the Manchester studio, while comparable adverts are near £6,074. They pay on time and take care of the place, so one vacancy or a modest refurbishment could erase the extra rent.

How would you turn that into a repeatable review process? My current thought is to verify that the comparison studios genuinely match, check achieved rent if available, and weigh the tenant’s payment and maintenance record against likely vacancy and reletting costs. I would then confirm the tenancy terms, deposit handling and current notice requirements before discussing a modest increase. I want future reviews to follow the same reasoning rather than depend on whether a tenant happens to complain.
 
A reliable tenant is already giving you value that the asking-rent figure does not capture. Before increasing anything, work out how many months of that £410 annual difference would be lost to even a short vacancy or minor refurbishment.

Are both figures annual, and are the comparable studios genuinely similar in location, condition and included costs? Asking rent alone can overstate what you would actually achieve.
 
I wouldn’t automatically leave the rent unchanged just because the tenant is good. A small, clearly explained rise can preserve the relationship while avoiding one large adjustment later.

I’d write down the comparison properties, deduct an allowance for vacancy and turnover, and set a maximum increase from that—not simply copy £6,074. Then verify the agreement and current England notice requirements, speak to the tenant before serving anything formal, and keep any deposit handling separate from the rent discussion.
 
Back
Top