The rent decision is due soon, and I’m torn between closing the gap and keeping a tenant who has been dependable. This is a two-bedroom detached home in Rio de Janeiro. The tenant pays about R$13,240, while similar homes are being advertised near R$16,940.
Payment has been reliable, and the property has been looked after well. Before proposing anything, I want to account for the maintenance history, how the deposit would be handled if the tenancy ended, and the cost of even a short vacancy followed by preparation for a new tenant.
Would you start with a modest negotiated rise, or first test whether R$16,940 reflects achievable rent rather than optimistic listings? I’ll also check the notice requirements and the existing lease terms.
Payment has been reliable, and the property has been looked after well. Before proposing anything, I want to account for the maintenance history, how the deposit would be handled if the tenancy ended, and the cost of even a short vacancy followed by preparation for a new tenant.
Would you start with a modest negotiated rise, or first test whether R$16,940 reflects achievable rent rather than optimistic listings? I’ll also check the notice requirements and the existing lease terms.