Rent increase versus retaining a reliable tenant in Santiago

PrimeGlass

Property investor
A rent review has highlighted a sizeable gap and created a harder question than I expected. The tenant pays about CLP 2,524,000 for a detached home in Santiago, while comparable properties are being advertised near CLP 3,056,000. They are dependable, look after the home and are not someone I would replace lightly.

Moving straight to the apparent market level may recover more rent, but it also brings the risk of vacancy, preparation costs and an unknown incoming tenant. I am leaning toward a smaller written increase that recognises the value of keeping the tenancy. How would you calculate that compromise and present it fairly, once the lease terms and applicable notice requirements have been checked?
 
The headline gap is CLP 532,000 per month, but asking rent is not necessarily achieved rent. I’d estimate the cost of even one vacant month, preparation work and reletting, then compare that with a smaller increase for the existing tenant. A written proposal below the apparent market level can make the retention discount clear without presenting it as an ultimatum. First confirm what the lease permits and what notice Chilean rules require.
 
When was the last adjustment, and does the lease already contain an indexation or rent-review clause? Those facts could determine both the amount and the process. I’d also look at the maintenance history: a tenant who reports problems promptly and avoids damage has financial value beyond punctual payments.
 
I’d be cautious about discounting too heavily just because the tenant is good. A gap of CLP 532,000 each month is material, and leaving it untouched can make the next conversation harder. That does not mean demanding CLP 3,056,000 immediately. Check genuinely comparable detached homes, allow for likely vacancy and refurbishment, then offer a defensible increase with enough notice. Keep any deposit accounting separate from the rent negotiation and document its condition properly.
 
Rafael’s point about the gap is fair, but the quality of the comparable listings matters. Similar location, condition and lease terms are more useful than a broad asking figure. I’d prepare two numbers: the increase justified by actual comparisons, and the minimum increase that still makes retention worthwhile after expected turnover costs. Then discuss duration with the tenant—greater certainty may justify accepting less than the maximum—before putting the agreed terms in writing.
 
Back
Top