Rent increase versus tenant retention for a 4-bed Birmingham townhouse

nia.voss

Homeowner
Established
The tenant pays £2,431 a month, always pays on time and keeps the townhouse in good condition. That makes me reluctant to chase the £3,067 being advertised for comparable four-bedroom homes in Birmingham.

Before proposing anything, I need to check when the last increase took place, what the tenancy says about reviews and whether those listings are truly comparable rather than simply optimistic asking prices. How would you balance a modest rise against the likely vacancy, repairs and reletting costs if a dependable tenant decided to leave?
 
I’d separate the market evidence from the decision. Asking rent is not necessarily achieved rent, and a reliable tenant has real value. Work out what one month empty plus cleaning, repairs and reletting would cost, then compare that with the extra annual income from a smaller rise. I’d discuss it before issuing formal notice and explain the figures without presenting £3,067 as an ultimatum.
 
What tenancy arrangement and review clause do you have, and when was the rent last increased? The correct route and notice depend on the agreement and circumstances, so that needs checking for England before choosing a figure.

Also, are those £3,067 comparisons genuinely similar four-bed townhouses in the same part of Birmingham, with comparable condition and amenities? If they are only live listings, I would want stronger evidence before treating that number as market rent.
 
Good points. The £3,067 figure comes from current asking rents rather than confirmed lettings, so I won’t treat it as an achieved level. I’m going to check the tenancy terms, last review date and maintenance history first. Then I’ll model a modest increase against at least one vacancy period, likely refurbishment work and deposit administration, and speak to the tenant before taking any formal step.
 
That sounds balanced, though I wouldn’t let fear of turnover freeze the rent indefinitely. A large gap can become harder for both sides later. Consider proposing a defensible increase now, with a clear future review date, rather than trying to close the whole £636 monthly difference. Put any agreed change in writing, follow the required notice process if agreement is not reached, and make sure deposit handling remains compliant if the tenancy changes.
 
Back
Top