There is a meaningful rent gap here, but my concern is that the advertised figure may overstate the real gain. A detached New York home is currently let for about $3,327, while apparently comparable homes are being offered near $3,810. The tenant has a dependable payment record and has maintained the property well.
I want a process that accounts for likely vacancy time, turnover work and the value of retaining this tenant. For example, if one empty month would consume most of a year's extra income, I would favour a modest adjustment; if strong local evidence still shows a clear net benefit, I would consider a larger increase. What information would you use for that test, subject to the lease and the rules applying in the exact locality?
I want a process that accounts for likely vacancy time, turnover work and the value of retaining this tenant. For example, if one empty month would consume most of a year's extra income, I would favour a modest adjustment; if strong local evidence still shows a clear net benefit, I would consider a larger increase. What information would you use for that test, subject to the lease and the rules applying in the exact locality?