Rent increase versus tenant retention for a detached home in Tokyo? (1 bed)

CandidCrane

Property investor
I have a one-bedroom detached home in Tokyo currently rented for about ¥289,500. Similar asking rents appear to be near ¥320,100, but this tenant pays reliably and takes good care of the property.

I’m considering either leaving the rent alone or proposing a modest increase rather than trying to close the whole gap. Turnover could mean vacancy, refurbishment and deposit-handling work. How would others structure a fair rent review while respecting the lease and Tokyo’s applicable notice rules?
 
The roughly ¥30,600 gap is worth examining, but an asking rent is not proof that a replacement tenant will pay it. Compare the extra annual rent with even a short vacancy plus cleaning, repairs and reletting costs.

I’d also look for genuinely comparable detached homes, not just one-bedroom units generally. Do you have evidence of completed lettings, or only current advertisements?
 
Only current advertisements so far, which is the weak point. I also need to separate listings for detached homes from apartments and check whether their condition and location are genuinely comparable. The existing payment and maintenance history makes me reluctant to push for the full asking-rent gap.
 
In that case, I’d start with a smaller proposal supported by the best comparables you can find, while making clear you value the tenancy. Before naming a date, check the lease terms and confirm the local procedure for proposing an increase; timing and enforceability can depend on the agreement and circumstances.

Run three scenarios first: no increase, a modest agreed increase, and turnover at ¥320,100 after vacancy and refurbishment. That should expose whether pursuing the headline figure is actually worthwhile.
 
I’d be more cautious about assuming that a modest figure automatically preserves goodwill. The tenant may still regard any increase as unjustified if the evidence consists only of asking prices. A conversation before a formal proposal may reveal whether stability matters to both sides.

Also keep the deposit separate from the rent discussion. Any deductions or return arrangements at the eventual end of the tenancy should follow the lease and applicable Japanese rules, not be treated as part of this negotiation.
 
That’s a fair caveat. Maria, I’d make the next steps: gather closer comparables, estimate realistic vacancy and refurbishment costs, review the lease, and confirm the required process locally. Then approach the tenant with the evidence and one measured proposal rather than opening at ¥320,100. If the financial gain is thin after turnover risk, retaining a reliable tenant at or near ¥289,500 may be the stronger outcome.
 
Back
Top