Rent increase versus tenant retention for a duplex in Johannesburg?

AishaSlate

Homeowner
Established
The Johannesburg duplex currently rents for about ZAR 28,330, while comparable asking rents appear closer to ZAR 35,390. The tenant pays reliably, takes care of the home and has tolerated a long list of maintenance jobs—none individually unreasonable, but substantial together.

Would you make a modest increase to preserve the tenancy, or move closer to the advertised market level and accept the risk of vacancy, refurbishment and deposit administration? I also want the review and notice to comply with the lease and local rules without damaging the relationship.
 
I would not jump straight to ZAR 35,390. Asking rent is not necessarily achieved rent, and one vacant month plus preparation costs could consume much of the extra income. Work out the annual gain from several smaller increases, then compare each with a realistic turnover cost. A written conversation acknowledging the tenant’s payment and care history could make a moderate adjustment easier to accept.
 
I agree on valuing the tenant, but I would not choose a figure until the maintenance position is clearer. Are the outstanding jobs cosmetic, or do they materially affect the duplex? Raising rent while repairs remain unresolved may feel unfair even if nearby listings ask more.

Also check the current lease provisions, the applicable notice requirements and how any deposit change must be handled in South Africa. Then give the tenant proper notice, explain the comparison, and consider a phased increase rather than an abrupt move to the asking figure.
 
Back
Top