Rent increase versus tenant retention for a Rome townhouse

travelsAndGrove

Property investor
Established
A comparable asking rent for this Rome townhouse appears to be around €4,297, while the current tenant pays about €3,702. The tenant is reliable, maintains the property well, and the market evidence I am looking at has been available for 69 days.

I am considering a modest increase rather than trying to close the full gap. Turnover could mean vacancy, refurbishment and deposit administration, as well as losing a good tenant. How would others frame a fair review while respecting the contract and Rome’s applicable notice rules?
 
I would not treat €4,297 as achieved market rent, particularly if that asking figure has sat for 69 days. Put a realistic value on vacancy and preparation work, then compare that with the extra annual rent from each possible increase. Before approaching the tenant, check the lease terms, permitted adjustment method and notice timing locally. Reliability and good maintenance have real financial value.
 
Is the €4,297 figure based on one comparable or several genuinely similar townhouses? Size, condition, furnishing and exact area could make the apparent gap misleading. I also would not assume that every turnover requires major refurbishment. The more useful comparison is the net result after likely vacancy, letting costs and any work actually needed—not an automatic worst-case turnover bill.
 
That is a fair correction. I would gather several close comparables and inspect the maintenance history before choosing a number. If the evidence still supports an increase, a calm written discussion explaining a moderate adjustment may preserve the relationship better than simply presenting the highest asking rent. Keep the deposit separate from the rent negotiation; if the tenancy later ends, handle it under the lease and applicable local rules.
 
Back
Top