Rent increase versus tenant retention for a small multifamily in Los Angeles

EsmeAsh

Landlord
Established
Current rent is about $1,471, while comparable asking rent appears close to $1,694. The tenant pays reliably, takes care of the home and reports legitimate maintenance items—there are simply quite a few of them.

I’m considering a modest increase rather than trying to close the whole gap. How would others balance retention against possible vacancy, refurbishment and deposit handling after a move? I also want the review and notice to comply with whichever Los Angeles rules apply to this small multifamily.
 
A reliable tenant has real value, so I would not chase the full $223 difference automatically. Compare the additional annual rent from each possible increase with even a short vacancy plus cleaning, repairs and reletting effort. If a modest adjustment keeps the rent moving toward market without prompting a move, that may be the stronger result.
 
Before choosing an amount, find out exactly which local rules cover the unit and whether the tenancy is month-to-month or fixed-term. Also, how solid is the $1,694 figure? Asking rents are not necessarily achieved rents, especially if the comparisons differ in condition, size or included services. I’d finish outstanding maintenance first, then give a clear written explanation and the required notice.
 
The maintenance history should inform the turnover estimate, but it should not be used to justify the rent increase itself. A tenant who pays reliably and looks after the unit may be worth keeping below the apparent $1,694 market level, particularly if one vacant month would erase much of the extra rent.

I would confirm which Los Angeles notice and increase rules apply, then compare several permitted increases against vacancy, cleaning, repairs and reletting costs. Complete legitimate outstanding work regardless of the amount chosen, and retain a clear record of notices, repairs and the unit’s condition in case the tenant moves.
 
Back
Top