Rent increase versus tenant retention for a studio in Madrid (need advice)

neat_creek

Landlord
The advertised €2,149 rent is tempting, but I am reluctant to treat it as achievable income when the current Madrid studio tenant pays €1,790 consistently and looks after the property. Replacing them could turn a paper gain into vacancy, preparation costs and payment uncertainty.

Several genuine maintenance items also need attention. My preference is to deal with those and consider a moderate adjustment rather than demand the entire apparent gap. Before raising it, I need to verify whether the lease is at a valid review point and what local notice requirements apply. Would you base the discussion on close achieved comparisons, or mainly on the value of retaining this tenant?
 
I wouldn’t treat €2,149 as money you are automatically missing. It is an asking rent, not necessarily the achieved rent, and a change of tenant can bring vacancy, advertising, cleaning, repairs and uncertainty about payment.

Work out how many months of the proposed increase it would take to recover one turnover. A reliable tenant may justify leaving part of the apparent market gap untouched.
 
One important question: are those €2,149 comparisons genuinely similar studios—same area, condition, furnishing and included costs—or just the most visible listings? Also, is the review happening during the current agreement or at renewal? That affects what options and notice requirements may apply.
 
The turnover calculation is useful, but I would not choose an amount from that alone. First read the rent-review wording in the agreement and confirm which current Spanish and Madrid rules apply to this tenancy. The lawful adjustment may not match the difference between current and advertised rents.

I would also separate routine maintenance from the rent discussion. Necessary work should not sound conditional on the tenant accepting an increase.
 
Practically, I’d make a schedule of the outstanding jobs, keep records of the studio’s condition, and handle any future deposit questions separately because permitted deductions depend on the circumstances and applicable rules. Then give the tenant an early, calm written explanation: their payment history and care of the property are valued, market asking levels are higher, but you are proposing a smaller review to preserve stability. That is more likely to feel fair than simply presenting €2,149 as an ultimatum.
 
Back
Top