A recent comparison has created a new question about a Nairobi townhouse: similar properties are being advertised around KES 1,327,000 for the same rental period, while the current tenant pays KES 1,210,000.
The tenant is dependable, takes care of the property and flags maintenance issues early. I am therefore not convinced that pursuing the full advertised figure would outweigh vacancy, preparation and turnover costs. Would you leave the rent alone, make a limited increase or move all the way to the apparent market level?
My preference is a narrow compromise if the comparisons hold up, with the correct local notice and a clear discussion with the tenant. I would also review the maintenance history before deciding how much room there really is for an increase.
The tenant is dependable, takes care of the property and flags maintenance issues early. I am therefore not convinced that pursuing the full advertised figure would outweigh vacancy, preparation and turnover costs. Would you leave the rent alone, make a limited increase or move all the way to the apparent market level?
My preference is a narrow compromise if the comparisons hold up, with the correct local notice and a clear discussion with the tenant. I would also review the maintenance history before deciding how much room there really is for an increase.