Rent increase versus tenant retention for student housing in Rio de Janeiro

Charging closer to R$24,840 may reflect the advertised market, but keeping the current R$20,950 could be worth more once turnover risk is counted. This is student housing in Rio de Janeiro, and the existing tenant has a strong payment record and looks after the property.

I am considering a smaller adjustment rather than trying to close the entire gap. That view would change if comparable occupied units actually achieve the higher figure and typical vacancy and preparation costs are low; it would strengthen if R$24,840 comes mainly from optimistic listings. What evidence would you gather before setting the increase? I also need to verify the agreement, applicable notice process and treatment of the deposit under local rules.
 
I would price the reliable tenant into the decision rather than treating R$24,840 as an automatic target. Compare the extra annual rent with a realistic vacancy period, preparation costs and the risk of a less dependable replacement. A smaller adjustment may produce the better result. Before proposing it, confirm what the agreement permits, the applicable notice requirements and whether any deposit change would be lawful.
 
Are those genuinely comparable occupied properties, or just current listings? Asking rent can be optimistic. Student housing also varies substantially depending on room count, furnishings, utilities and lease timing. I’d want those details, plus the property’s maintenance history and typical vacancy time, before deciding that R$20,950 is materially below market.
 
I’m not convinced a staged increase is always best; it can create repeated friction. If the comparables hold up, one clearly explained adjustment below R$24,840 may be easier for both sides. Set out the proposed amount and effective date in writing, mention the tenant’s good payment and care history, and leave room for discussion. Keep deposit handling separate unless the agreement and local requirements clearly call for a change.
 
Back
Top