page.strong
Landlord
I’m sanity-checking a possible first rental in Berlin: a 1-bed villa priced at €243,800, with expected rent of €1,479 per month. That gives a headline gross yield of roughly 7.3%, but I’m conscious that the purchase costs and ongoing expenses could make the real return much less attractive.
My conservative model already includes a vacancy allowance, management, routine maintenance and a reserve for one larger repair. I still need to pressure-test insurance, property tax, tenant turnover and financing sensitivity rather than relying on the headline yield. The building appears sound, although I would verify that properly before proceeding.
For people familiar with Berlin rentals, which local purchase or operating cost am I most likely to be underestimating? Also, would you assess this primarily on net yield before financing, or on cash flow after debt—and what net yield would compensate you for the risks here?
My conservative model already includes a vacancy allowance, management, routine maintenance and a reserve for one larger repair. I still need to pressure-test insurance, property tax, tenant turnover and financing sensitivity rather than relying on the headline yield. The building appears sound, although I would verify that properly before proceeding.
For people familiar with Berlin rentals, which local purchase or operating cost am I most likely to be underestimating? Also, would you assess this primarily on net yield before financing, or on cash flow after debt—and what net yield would compensate you for the risks here?