Rental deal in Birmingham: £912,600 purchase, £5,594/month — sanity check

tradeTheChart

Landlord
Established
I’m assessing a 4-bed villa in Birmingham at £912,600, with expected rent of £5,594 per month. That produces a headline gross yield near 7.4%. The building looks sound, but the service charges could materially alter the result.

My conservative model uses eleven months of rent and deducts management, routine maintenance, vacancy and a reserve for one larger repair. I still suspect the repair allowance is light. Which local or property-specific cost am I most likely missing, and what net yield would compensate you for the risk?
 
Eleven months gives £61,534 before any expenses, so your adjusted gross yield is already about 6.7%, not 7.4%. From there, every additional £1,000 of annual cost removes roughly 0.11 percentage points.

I would focus first on the service charge history and whether major works are anticipated. Personally, I would want around 5% net before financing, calculated against the full acquisition cost rather than just £912,600.
 
How solid is the £5,594 figure? Is that supported by comparable signed rents, or is it the listing agent’s expectation? Also, is the villa intended for one household or room-by-room letting? Those could produce very different management, insurance, furnishing and tenant-turnover assumptions even if the headline monthly rent is identical.
 
I wouldn’t choose a net-yield target until the financing is modelled. A deal can look comfortable unlevered and become fragile once interest, fees and refinancing sensitivity are included.

Also clarify the tenure and what “service charge” means here. If it is an estate or leasehold charge, establish what it covers and how it can change. Add insurance and council tax during empty periods, with the exact liability confirmed for the intended letting arrangement.
 
I disagree that allowing one empty month automatically makes the model conservative. Vacancy and turnover costs tend to arrive together: no rent, cleaning, minor repairs, marketing and possibly a new management charge. Eleven months is a useful shortcut, but I’d model one actual changeover separately.

The bigger uncertainty remains the rent. If £5,594 assumes perfect presentation or a particular tenant type, maintenance and furnishing reserves should match that standard.
 
That distinction matters. Joanap, does your quoted management cost include tenant finding and renewals, or only ongoing collection and administration? I’d also separate property yield from cash-on-cash return. First decide whether the building works at a sensible unlevered net yield; then stress the loan at higher financing costs rather than letting leverage disguise a thin property return.
 
Before deciding, I’d ask for recent service-charge statements, details of any planned major expenditure, the tenure terms, an insurance quotation and evidence supporting the rent. Then get management pricing based on this exact letting plan, not a generic percentage.

Run three cases: £5,594 with normal turnover, a lower rent with the same costs, and a larger repair coinciding with a void. If only the first case works, the margin is too narrow.
 
A 5% net hurdle is defensible, but I wouldn’t treat it as universal. A lower figure might be acceptable for a low-maintenance property with reliable demand; this one already has uncertainty around service charges, rent evidence and repairs, so I would demand more margin rather than less.

The key decision point is simple: calculate net income before finance using actual recurring charges and a realistic changeover cost. If that lands only slightly above borrowing costs, £912,600 looks difficult to justify.
 
Back
Top