Rental deal in Brisbane: A$1,604,000 purchase, A$7,415/month — sanity check

pebble.far

Landlord
I can treat the 5.5% gross yield as a reasonable starting point, or assume it is misleading until every Brisbane holding cost is known. Neither approach feels quite right for a first rental.

The townhouse is a 2-bed priced at A$1,604,000, with projected rent of A$7,415 a month. I have allowed for empty periods, agent fees, ordinary upkeep and occasional major work, but tenant turnover, property tax and recurring ownership charges may still change the result. The rent also needs firmer support if more local supply is coming.

Which expense would you check first, and what net return would make the remaining risk worthwhile?
 
A$7,415 monthly is A$88,980 annually, so the gross calculation is about 5.55%. The first missing question is whether the townhouse has body-corporate charges. Then add council rates, insurance, any owner-paid water costs and land tax if applicable to your ownership position. What supports the rent estimate: current tenancy, comparable rentals or an agent’s appraisal?
 
Body corporate is the obvious gap in my first pass. I had treated the repair reserve as covering building issues, but that would not capture recurring levies or the risk of larger shared works. I also need stronger evidence for the expected rent rather than treating it as achieved. I’ll separate those items and run financing at less favourable rates.
 
That separation matters. Don’t reduce the maintenance reserve just because a body corporate may handle common property; the owner can still face internal repairs and contributions for shared work. I’d also stress-test one tenant change with downtime and reletting costs, rather than using only a smooth annual vacancy percentage.
 
I’m less positive on the headline yield than the arithmetic might suggest. At A$1,604,000, even ordinary operating costs can pull 5.5% gross down quickly. Unless there is a strong non-income reason for choosing this particular townhouse, compare its realistic net return with simpler alternatives. A visually sound building does not make a thin cash yield safer.
 
Local supply may show up through tenant turnover rather than an immediate headline rent fall. Competing properties can mean longer reletting periods or pressure to accept a lower rent. A$7,415 is also quite a specific monthly estimate, so I would test several rent cases and ask how many genuinely comparable 2-bed townhouses support it.
 
Get an insurance indication using the exact address and construction details before settling on the net figure. In Brisbane, site-specific weather or flood exposure can matter, but it should be checked for this property rather than assumed from the suburb or appearance. Look at the premium, exclusions and excess, not just whether cover is available.
 
Build two returns: net property yield before finance, and cash flow after finance. For the first, subtract vacancy, management, maintenance, insurance, council charges, applicable land tax, body-corporate costs and turnover expenses from A$88,980, then divide by A$1,604,000. Keep loan interest and principal separate so leverage does not disguise whether the property itself performs.
 
I wouldn’t choose a required net yield until the uncertain inputs are replaced with property-specific figures. Start with three scenarios for rent, vacancy and repairs; confirm whether body corporate applies and what it costs; obtain the insurance figure; then test the loan separately. If the deal only works at A$7,415 every month with no meaningful surprise, the margin is too narrow for a first rental.
 
Back
Top