Rental deal in Dubai: AED 2,587,000 purchase, AED 8,616/month — sanity check

daily_porch

Property investor
Established
A gross yield near 4.0% is the number making me question whether this deal has enough room for error. The Dubai property is a one-bedroom duplex priced at AED 2,587,000, with projected rent of AED 8,616 a month, or AED 103,392 a year.

Its visible condition looks sound, and my model allows for empty periods, management, normal upkeep and a larger repair. Those assumptions can be adjusted later; an unexpected building obligation or major works contribution would be much harder to absorb at this yield.

Which figures should be verified before judging the return—unit-specific service charges and reserves, the basis of the rent estimate, tenant-turnover costs, management extras, or other recurring charges? I am less interested in defending the purchase price than in finding out whether the net cash flow properly rewards the building-level risk.
 
The first figure I would pin down is the unit’s actual service charge, including what it does and does not cover. Don’t rely on a general estimate for the development. Ask for the current unit-specific amount and several years of statements if available, then find out whether cooling and insurance sit inside or outside it.
 
Also, is AED 8,616 an achieved rent from an existing tenancy, an agent’s estimate, or an asking price? That distinction matters more than fine-tuning the maintenance allowance. I’d want to know whether it assumes furnished or unfurnished letting and whether the management percentage applies only to collected rent or attracts additional charges.
 
I think the bigger issue is that 4.0% is gross before almost everything. One vacant month reduces annual rent from AED 103,392 to AED 94,776 before service charges, management, maintenance and insurance.

A repair reserve for the apartment is sensible, but it is not the same as the building’s financial position. If common-area spending rises, your private reserve may simply be too small. At this price I would not proceed based on the headline yield alone.
 
Are you buying with cash or financing? If there is borrowing, the deal needs to survive a less favourable interest-cost scenario as well as vacancy. If it is cash, I would still calculate the return on the full acquisition outlay rather than only AED 2,587,000. Either way, work backwards from rent actually received rather than starting with 4.0%.
 
I wouldn’t set a universal minimum net yield without knowing your holding period and reason for buying. A lower cash yield might be acceptable to someone prioritising the specific property, but it gives very little room for mistakes.

Run three cases: expected occupancy, one vacant month, and a tenant change combined with a larger repair. If the third case produces uncomfortable cash flow, the price is doing too much work.
 
The duplex layout deserves its own vacancy and turnover assumption. A 1-bed duplex may appeal to a narrower tenant pool than a conventional 1-bed, while having more internal elements to maintain. I’d ask for evidence from genuinely comparable duplex units in the same building, not ordinary 1-bed listings nearby.
 
Agreed on comparables, though I wouldn’t reject it merely because the net yield falls below someone else’s preferred number. Before deciding, get the service-charge history, clarify cooling and insurance, verify the rental figure against completed lettings, inspect the building’s major shared systems, and rerun the model with financing if relevant. If the seller’s price only works under full occupancy and minimal repairs, that is the answer.
 
Back
Top