Rental deal in Lima: PEN 3,431,000 purchase, PEN 10,070/month — sanity check?

rhea_dove

Market analyst
Established
Market Reporter
The thin margin is my main concern before I go further with this Lima apartment. The 4-bed is priced at PEN 3,431,000 and the proposed rent is PEN 10,070 a month, which gives only about a 3.5% gross yield before borrowing costs.

I’ve allowed something for empty periods, management and repairs, but I still need reliable figures for insurance, property tax, regular building charges and possible special assessments. My decision rule is fairly simple: if verified rent and recurring costs leave acceptable cash flow after financing, I can investigate further; if the deal works only with full occupancy and no major building bill, I should pass. Which cost would you verify first?
 
At that starting yield, the deal has very little room for error. Annual gross rent is PEN 120,840, so even moderate operating costs push the net yield down quickly. I would focus on recurring building charges and special assessments, then test the rent rather than treating PEN 10,070 as settled. Financing could turn a thin unlevered return into negative cash flow.
 
Who pays the building’s regular maintenance charge under the proposed lease, and do comparable rents include parking, storage, appliances or furniture? A quoted rent can look stronger than it is if the landlord must absorb those items. I’d also want the actual payment history for the unit’s property-related charges, not just an estimate from the seller.
 
Tenant turnover may be the hidden issue. A 4-bed has a narrower tenant pool than a smaller apartment, and each changeover can mean lost rent plus painting, repairs and leasing costs. Model one case where PEN 10,070 is achieved but the unit sits empty longer, and another where it leases promptly only after a rent reduction.
 
I agree on testing turnover, but I wouldn’t reject it solely because 3.5% looks low. The apartment might have qualities not captured by current rent, or the buyer may value capital preservation. Still, those are separate arguments. As a rental investment, it should stand up without assuming appreciation, and this one currently seems dependent on unusually smooth occupancy and expenses.
 
The financing details are the missing piece. What loan amount, rate structure, term and currency are you considering? Run the property first as an all-cash purchase, then add debt separately. Also stress the loan payment rather than only the yield: higher borrowing cost, one vacant period and a large repair occurring in the same year.
 
Before deciding, request a short list of hard numbers: recent building-charge statements, any planned common-area work, property-tax records, an insurance quote, and evidence supporting the expected rent. Peru-specific responsibility for each charge can depend on the contract and circumstances, so confirm locally which expenses remain with the owner.
 
One more caveat on the repair reserve: it should cover both work inside the apartment and the owner’s possible share of major building work. A sound-looking building can still face expensive projects. I’d ask for meeting records or other written information about upcoming work, without assuming silence means nothing is planned.
 
For me, there is no universal net-yield threshold; the important comparison is with lower-effort alternatives in the same currency after tax and financing. Build a downside case using lower rent, longer vacancy, full management, insurance, taxes, common charges and turnover costs. If that produces weak or negative cash flow, negotiate the PEN 3,431,000 price rather than trimming the reserves.
 
Back
Top