Rental deal in Lisbon: €575,000 purchase, €2,062/month — sanity check / school catchment

kit_surveys

Landlord
I’m deciding whether to pursue a 2-bed country home in Lisbon at €575,000. Expected long-term rent is €2,062/month, giving a headline gross yield of roughly 4.3%.

The building appears sound, but service charges could materially alter the result. My conservative model already allows for vacancy, management, routine maintenance and a larger-repair reserve. Demand may partly depend on the school catchment, which I still need to verify.

Which local cost am I most likely to be underestimating—insurance, property tax, shared charges or something else? And what net yield would justify the risk for you?
 
The rent is €24,744 a year, so there is not much room between 4.3% gross and an unattractive net result. I would not estimate the service charge or property tax: ask for the actual recent amounts, plus an insurance quote for this specific property. Those fixed costs can hurt more than slightly higher vacancy. Personally, I’d want the unfinanced net yield comfortably above 3%, calculated on total cash committed.
 
Is €2,062 based on an agreed tenancy, comparable long-term listings, or an agent’s estimate? That matters more than fine-tuning the maintenance percentage.

I’d also separate general Lisbon demand from demand for this exact country-home location. If the school catchment supports the rent, confirm the boundary and likely tenant profile rather than treating “near a good school” as enough. Family tenants may stay longer, but turnover can also mean more preparation between lets.
 
The €2,062 is an expected long-term rent, not an existing tenancy. I agree that makes the rent evidence the first missing piece. The school angle is part of the demand case, but I won’t assign value to it until the catchment is confirmed.

I’m comparing the property unlevered initially, then I’ll stress-test financing separately. I also haven’t received firm service-charge figures yet, so the 4.3% is definitely only a screening number.
 
I’d push back on focusing too heavily on the catchment. It may support demand, but it cannot rescue weak property economics. “Lisbon” also covers very different micro-locations, especially for something described as a country home.

Clarify exactly what the service charge covers and what remains yours: exterior work, access, shared systems and any grounds. A modest charge that excludes expensive responsibilities may be less reassuring than a higher but comprehensive one.
 
Work backwards from the €24,744 annual rent. Deduct management, a realistic vacancy allowance, insurance, property tax, service charges and both maintenance reserves in euros—not percentages hidden across different spreadsheets. Then divide by all cash required to acquire the property, rather than only €575,000.

I’d also run one deliberately unpleasant year with a void and the larger repair occurring together. If that creates a cash problem, the average yield is not telling the whole story.
 
Since you are starting unlevered, keep that return separate from the financing decision. First decide whether the property itself works. Then test possible debt payments against lower rent, tenant turnover and a repair year. Financing can make the cash-on-cash figure look better in a normal year while making the downside much less forgiving.
 
At 4.3% gross, I would need unusually clear evidence before proceeding: several credible rent comparisons, confirmed catchment, actual service-charge and property-tax amounts, a property-specific insurance quote, and clarity on every maintenance responsibility.

My personal hurdle would be a net yield in the high-3% range before financing and after recurring allowances. If verified costs push it into the low 3s or below, I’d either renegotiate the price or pass; there is too little margin for optimistic rent or one omitted expense.
 
Back
Top