Rental deal in London: £234,000 purchase, £1,142/month — sanity check

jade_details

Property investor
Established
I would like this 3-bed London country home to work as a rental, but the margin looks less convincing once realistic running costs are included. The purchase price is £234,000 and expected rent is £1,142 a month, which produces a gross yield of about 5.9% before expenses.

Demand and the apparent condition are encouraging, although that could be outweighed by insurance, vacant periods and tenant turnover. I am allowing for management, normal maintenance, time without rent and a separate fund for a major repair. Turnover worries me more than a steady annual expense because cleaning, remedial work and vacancy can land at once.

Which assumptions would you verify first, particularly insurance and likely turnover costs? I am less interested in preserving the headline yield than in deciding whether the return left after those checks is worth the risk.
 
The annual rent is £13,704 before any costs, so there is not much room for several assumptions to be mildly wrong. I would pay particular attention to tenant turnover: an empty period, marketing, cleaning and repairs can arrive together rather than neatly across the year. Model financing separately as well, because a deal that works without debt can become very sensitive to the borrowing cost.
 
What exactly does “building reserves” mean here: your own repair fund, or a payment connected with the property’s tenure or shared areas? That could materially change the calculation. I’d also establish who carries council tax and utilities during vacancies, and get an insurance figure based on this specific building rather than a broad estimate.
 
I’m less worried about vacancy if the demand evidence is solid. The bigger danger may be treating maintenance as a smooth annual percentage. Insurance and one substantial building repair are lumpy, and a country home may have features that ordinary London rental comparisons do not capture. A 5.9% gross yield is not automatically poor, but I would not call it attractive until those physical details and the financing terms are known.
 
Run three versions rather than choosing one net-yield target: expected occupancy and costs; a tenant change plus a major repair; and higher financing costs at renewal. Then calculate the cash left after every expense and the occupancy needed to break even.

Before committing, obtain property-specific insurance, management and maintenance estimates and clarify the reserve arrangement raised above. I’d want the resulting net return to retain a worthwhile margin over financing and lower-effort alternatives—not merely stay positive in the best case.
 
Back
Top