Rental deal in Utrecht: €1,214,000 purchase, €3,835/month — sanity check

gardensAndPebble

Property manager
The margin is already narrow before any bad year is added. The Utrecht property is a 1-bed coastal home priced at €1,214,000, with expected rent of €3,835 a month. That produces €46,020 annually, or roughly 3.8% gross.

It sounds more appealing at headline level than it does after owner-paid charges, insurance, tax, management, vacancy and a maintenance reserve. One significant repair could remove most of the remaining income, and financing would make the result even more sensitive. Which recurring costs should I verify directly for this property, and how would you stress-test the rent and repair assumptions before deciding?
 
At only 3.8% gross, I’d focus less on choosing one target net yield and more on proving every recurring charge. Each €10,000 of annual costs removes roughly 0.82 percentage points from yield on that purchase price. Property tax matters, but insurance, building or service charges and management can collectively do more damage than one conspicuous bill. I would not proceed without the actual recent amounts for the specific property.
 
Is €3,835 the signed rent, a current asking rent or an agent’s estimate? That distinction is crucial. I’d also ask whether the home is part of a shared building and, if so, which costs remain with the owner. Tenant turnover deserves its own line: vacancy is only part of it, because reletting and work between occupants can arrive together.
 
At 3.8% gross, financing is the assumption most likely to decide this. I wouldn’t reject the property solely because the yield is low; low turnover or a buyer who particularly values the asset could support a different decision. But that does not create much room for borrowing costs to rise or the expected rent to fall short.

I’d calculate the property return before interest, then build a separate financed cash-flow case. Combining the two can hide whether the weak result comes from the building itself or from the chosen loan structure.
 
Good points. The €3,835 is an expected rent, not a signed lease, so I have been giving it too much certainty. I also haven’t separated turnover work from ordinary vacancy, and the building-related charges need to be confirmed rather than estimated.

I’ll rebuild the model with actual owner-paid charges, insurance and property tax, then stress the rent downward and put a turnover event into the bad year. The financed case will remain separate.
 
That approach should expose the real margin. I’d request itemised recent charges and maintenance history, then test three cases: full expected rent, lower rent, and lower rent plus turnover and a major repair. Also calculate the break-even rent after financing. With a 3.8% starting yield, I would want a clearly positive result in the middle case, not a deal that works only when every assumption is favourable.
 
Back
Top