Rental deal in Zurich: CHF 312,400 purchase, CHF 950/month — sanity check

blueprint.solid

Real estate agent
Established
Verified Pro
Before putting more time into this flat, I have to work out whether the advantages of a new build can compensate for such a narrow return. The Zurich property is described as a four-bedroom, costs CHF 312,400 and is expected to rent for CHF 950 per month, or roughly 3.6% gross.

My calculation includes vacancy, management, routine upkeep and provision for a larger repair later. The property-tax amount is still uncertain, and I may be understating insurance and building charges paid by the owner. If the purchase is financed, I would also rerun it at a higher borrowing cost rather than assume today’s figure holds.

Which local expense would you verify first? I am not trying to choose an appealing target yield and work backward. I want to subtract realistic costs, include a rent-free month and see whether any worthwhile cash flow remains.
 
CHF 950 a month is CHF 11,400 annually, so the gross figure is about 3.65%. The thin starting yield means small omissions matter. I’d want the full breakdown of owner-paid building charges, insurance and any common reserve contributions, plus realistic tenant-turnover costs. Rather than choose a target net yield first, subtract those actual amounts and see whether the remaining cash flow is still meaningful.
 
Also, is CHF 312,400 being paid in cash or financed? With debt, the result could be driven more by borrowing costs than by vacancy or routine maintenance. Run the same calculation with a higher financing cost and at least one rent-free month between tenants. If either turns the annual cash flow negative, 3.6% gross offers little cushion.
 
After the financing question, I think there is an even more basic figure to verify: is CHF 950 a realistic rent for this exact flat? A small change there could matter more than refining the near-term repair reserve for a new build.

I would obtain comparable rents for the precise location, confirm what the listing means by “4-bed,” and ask for an all-in purchase-cost breakdown. If those details hold up, keep a reasonable repair allowance and continue with the fuller cash-flow test. If they do not, there is little value in fine-tuning the expense assumptions.
 
Before deciding, put every item into one annual cash-flow sheet: rent received, vacancy, management, non-recoverable building charges, insurance, maintenance, reserve, property tax and financing. Then obtain the building budget and ask someone familiar with the relevant Zurich tax jurisdiction to check the tax treatment for your circumstances. I wouldn’t name a required net yield without those figures; the useful test is whether the deal remains acceptable after conservative costs and financing sensitivity, not whether the headline yield rounds to 3.6%.
 
Back
Top