My inspection response is due soon, and I do not want a negotiating mistake to jeopardise the deposit. The inspection of this 35 m² Johannesburg townhouse identified several real but manageable defects, with estimates adding up to about ZAR 982,800.
The seller is willing to take responsibility for the repairs. I would be more comfortable selecting the contractors and overseeing the work myself, which leaves me choosing between a closing credit and a lower purchase price. The credit would preserve cash for the work, assuming the lender permits it; the reduction may be easier to document but would not fund the repairs after completion.
Before responding, I plan to confirm the concession limit and the exact inspection-deadline procedure. Are there other practical disadvantages to either structure, particularly if the seller’s motivation changes or the final repair cost exceeds the estimates?
The seller is willing to take responsibility for the repairs. I would be more comfortable selecting the contractors and overseeing the work myself, which leaves me choosing between a closing credit and a lower purchase price. The credit would preserve cash for the work, assuming the lender permits it; the reduction may be easier to document but would not fund the repairs after completion.
Before responding, I plan to confirm the concession limit and the exact inspection-deadline procedure. Are there other practical disadvantages to either structure, particularly if the seller’s motivation changes or the final repair cost exceeds the estimates?