Repairs, closing credit or price reduction after inspection / school catchment

lena.voss

First-time buyer
Established
I have obtained inspection estimates of about ¥9,639,000 for several real but manageable problems in a 145 m² Osaka villa. What remains unclear is whether the financing and contract would allow a credit at completion, and how that option would affect my deposit before the response deadline.

The seller is willing to have the repairs completed. I prefer having control over contractor selection and the precise work, but a straight price reduction may only lower the borrowing requirement rather than provide funds for repairs. I am checking concession limits and preparing financing proof, and I will verify the school catchment for the exact address independently of the listing.

What should I ask the lender and contract adviser to confirm before proposing a credit? It would help to separate any Japan-specific contractual requirements from personal preferences about who manages the work.
 
If cash after completion is the concern, a price reduction may not help nearly as much as it appears: depending on the financing, it can mainly reduce the amount borrowed rather than leave ¥9,639,000 available for contractors. A credit could better match your aim, but only if the lender and transaction structure accept it.

Before choosing, send the lender the inspection estimates and proposed wording. Also ask the seller whether they would consider an escrow-style arrangement or only completed repairs, without assuming either is available in Japan.
 
I would not treat the estimate as automatically worth a yen-for-yen credit. The seller may argue that some items are maintenance, while completed comparables could already reflect the villa’s condition. An appraisal gap could further complicate financing.

More urgently, what does your inspection protection actually allow before the response deadline—renegotiation, withdrawal, or only acceptance? Have that checked against the signed contract, including any effect on the deposit. Separately, confirm the catchment with the relevant local authority and the specific address; that is too important to bundle into repair negotiations.
 
Back
Top