Repairs, closing credit or price reduction after inspection — second opinion?

SimpleLane

First-time buyer
Established
The inspection figures are now in, which changes the negotiation: the identified work on this 65 m² Munich studio totals about €29,440. The issues appear real but manageable. The seller is willing to have them corrected, although contractor selection and oversight matter to me.

I’m therefore weighing a credit at closing against a lower purchase price. The credit could make the repair funds accessible, while the reduction may help if the appraisal comes in low but leave less cash for the work. I’m asking the lender what concessions are permitted and must answer before the inspection deadline. How should I structure this without weakening the protection for my deposit if no agreement is reached?
 
If contractor control matters, I would avoid seller-managed repairs unless the scope and completion standard are exceptionally clear. A credit leaves funds available for the work, whereas a reduction may mainly lower the amount financed rather than give you €29,440 in usable cash. Ask the lender, in writing, how each option affects approval and what proof of the estimates they require.
 
Are the estimates itemised, and which repairs are urgent rather than cosmetic? That distinction could change the negotiation substantially. I’d also compare the agreed price with completed sales of similar Munich studios. If you are already paying above those comparables, a reduction may be more important because the lender’s appraisal could create a separate gap.
 
I wouldn’t automatically reject the seller’s offer. A seller motivated to keep the timeline intact might complete more work than a lender will permit as a concession. The problem is quality and accountability: who selects the contractors, approves substitutions and deals with defects after handover? Without satisfactory written answers, buyer-controlled work is safer, but it may require accepting a lower price rather than a full credit.
 
Before the response deadline, get three things aligned: the lender’s permitted structure, the wording needed in the purchase documentation, and the maximum repair exposure you can carry after completion. Then propose alternatives—full buyer credit if accepted, otherwise a price reduction reflecting the urgent items. Don’t let negotiations run past any inspection protection without written clarification, especially if the deposit could become exposed. Munich-specific contract advice may be worthwhile here.
 
Back
Top