Repairs, closing credit or price reduction after inspection / sold-price history

otis.elm

Buyer
Established
The seller can carry out the repairs, or we can renegotiate the money, and neither option feels straightforward. This is a 35 m² detached home in Lyon, with inspection estimates adding up to roughly €11,960. Seller-managed work would leave me with limited control over the contractors and finish, while a credit or price reduction may be constrained by the financing.

My preference is to handle the work after completion, provided the lender confirms that the structure is acceptable. Would a closing credit actually leave more usable repair money than lowering the agreed price? I am checking completed comparables as well as obtaining written confirmation of the lending position. The response deadline is close, so I also need to avoid changing terms in a way that puts the deposit at risk.
 
If the lender and transaction structure permit it, a credit is usually more useful when you need cash available for repairs. A price reduction may lower the borrowing slightly, but it does not necessarily leave €11,960 in your account after completion. Get the lender to confirm in writing how each option affects the loan and funds due at closing.
 
What makes up the €11,960? There is a big difference between several cosmetic jobs and one issue that could worsen or uncover more damage. I would ask for an itemised estimate, identify anything urgent, and add a contingency before deciding that the quoted total is enough.
 
I wouldn’t automatically reject the seller doing the work. On a transaction with a tight deadline, completed repairs can be cleaner than trying to structure a large credit the lender may not accept. The important parts are who selects the contractor, what exactly counts as completion, and whether you can inspect the result before becoming committed beyond your existing protections.
 
The completed comparables matter because they show how much negotiating room may already be built into the price. Compare similar detached homes in Lyon, not simply other 35 m² properties; land, condition and exact setting can make a small house behave differently from a flat. If sound renovated comparables support the current price, asking for the full estimate is easier to justify than demanding an additional general discount.
 
Before negotiating the format, check the inspection wording, the response deadline and what happens to the deposit under each possible response. A request for repairs, a credit or a reduced price may not all have the same effect under your signed terms. That is one for the notary or other adviser handling this French transaction, not an assumption based on practices elsewhere.
 
Seller motivation could decide this. Offering to manage the repairs may mean the seller values certainty more than the last euro, or it may mean they can obtain the work more cheaply. Ask whether they would instead accept a defined credit or reduction. Their answer tells you whether the dispute is about control, cost or keeping the financing straightforward.
 
Gabriel’s question is the key caveat to my earlier point. If the estimate includes something hidden behind finishes or dependent on opening up the building, neither a fixed credit nor seller-managed work fully removes the risk. I’d separate fixed-scope jobs from uncertain ones. Seller completion may suit the former; buyer control plus adequate funds is more valuable for the latter.
 
Also consider the appraisal gap. If the appraisal comes in below the agreed price, a nominal seller credit may not solve the resulting financing shortfall and could even be limited by the lender. Send the proposed structure, inspection estimate and evidence of your available funds to the lender now. A verbal indication is not enough when the response deadline is approaching.
 
I would present two acceptable alternatives rather than argue abstractly about credit versus price: either a lender-approved credit of €11,960, or a price reduction paired with a smaller, clearly defined repair arrangement. Keep urgent items separate from optional improvements. That gives the seller a route to agreement while preserving your ability to walk away or rely on the inspection protection, if your signed terms actually allow it.
 
One caution on the two-option approach: don’t offer alternatives until you know both are financially workable. A reduced price can look equivalent on paper but leave the buyer funding repairs immediately, while the benefit arrives gradually through a smaller loan. First obtain the lender’s figures for cash due under each structure, then put only viable choices to the seller before the deadline.
 
Back
Top