I’m choosing between a 2,100 sq ft retail unit and a similarly priced warehouse in San Francisco. The retail unit appears simpler to maintain, particularly if the building handles some exterior or common-area work. The warehouse offers more control, but I’m concerned about larger, irregular costs falling entirely on the owner.
My model includes insurance, energy use and performance, tenant demand, vacancy risk, management workload, and eventual resale liquidity. I’m also looking closely at shared-building reserves for the retail option versus roof, structure, access, and building systems for the warehouse. Our adviser flagged the trade-offs but stopped short of saying either property should be avoided.
What costs or management problems tend to emerge after the first year rather than during initial due diligence? I’d especially value a practical checklist for comparing reserve exposure, likely capital work, insurability, tenant turnover, and how easily each type could be resold.
My model includes insurance, energy use and performance, tenant demand, vacancy risk, management workload, and eventual resale liquidity. I’m also looking closely at shared-building reserves for the retail option versus roof, structure, access, and building systems for the warehouse. Our adviser flagged the trade-offs but stopped short of saying either property should be avoided.
What costs or management problems tend to emerge after the first year rather than during initial due diligence? I’d especially value a practical checklist for comparing reserve exposure, likely capital work, insurability, tenant turnover, and how easily each type could be resold.