Rio country home at R$6.3m: does R$28,180 monthly rent justify the risk?

mara_dove

Real estate agent
Established
I’m assessing a 3-bed country home in Rio de Janeiro priced at R$6,300,000, with expected rent of R$28,180 per month. That supports the advertised gross yield of roughly 5.4%, but gross is doing a lot of work here. My model allows for vacancy, management, routine maintenance and a larger-repair reserve. The building appears sound, while insurance costs and possible rental-regulation changes concern me. Which local expense am I most likely understating, and how much net return would make the risk worthwhile?
 
Tenant turnover may be the hidden cost rather than any single annual bill. Vacancy, preparation between tenants and management charges can arrive together, especially if R$28,180 depends on finding a narrow pool of renters. Is that figure based on an existing tenancy, comparable signed leases, or an asking rent? I would not choose a target net yield until that distinction is clear.
 
I’d start with property tax and insurance rather than assume turnover is the main weakness. Obtain property-specific figures, then test the cash flow with lower rent, a longer vacancy and a major repair in the same year. Also run it both with and without financing; at a 5.4% gross yield, borrowing costs could change the conclusion quickly. For me, the acceptable net return would need to sit comfortably above the financing cost and leave a real reserve, not merely stay positive.
 
Back
Top