Rio new-builds: does the +0.3% movement hide reserve-fund risk?

yuki_north

Property investor
Established
I sampled a small group of Rio de Janeiro new-build flats marketed between R$3,808,000 and R$5,712,000. The indicated price movement was +0.3%, while median marketing time was about 11 days, although differences in condition made the average noisy.

I’m trying to decide how much weight to give the building’s reserves. Are buyers at this level negotiating when the reserve position looks weak, or simply rejecting the property? Recent completed-sale evidence would also help separate firm prices from optimistic listings.
 
I would not treat reserves as just another bargaining point. A discount helps only once; weak building finances can affect costs later. Some buyers may therefore move on rather than negotiate, especially if comparable new stock is available. The useful comparison is total exposure: asking price, likely building expenditure and whether the seller appears motivated.
 
How tightly did you draw the neighbourhood boundaries? At those prices, combining adjacent areas—or even very different streets and building types—could distort both the +0.3% figure and the 11-day median. I’d also separate financed buyers from those not dependent on financing, because their ability to react quickly may differ.
 
I’m less convinced that 11 days demonstrates strong demand. Withdrawn stock and relisted units can make marketing periods look shorter, while early price cuts may be lost if only the latest listing is counted. Before drawing conclusions about reserves, compare new-listing volume with completed sales and withdrawals over the same period.
 
A practical next step would be a two-column comparison for each flat: confirmed sale evidence on one side, building finances and expected obligations on the other. Then note condition, original listing date, any price-cut timing and seller motivation. For a new build, ask specifically how initial shared costs and reserves are being handled. The legal and financial significance depends on the building arrangements in Brazil, so unclear answers merit local professional review rather than an assumed discount.
 
Back
Top