Rio student housing: 4.1% movement, 95 days on market—wait or negotiate?

blueprint.solid

Real estate agent
Established
Verified Pro
First post here. I’m tracking student housing in Rio de Janeiro priced from R$2,419,000 to R$3,629,000. The snapshot shows 4.1% movement and roughly 95 days on market, yet the listings I saved are behaving very differently.

My working theory is that service charges and property condition explain more of the negotiated discount than headline demand. I’m deciding whether to wait for reductions or approach the better-condition properties now. Does that fit what others are seeing? Please mention the neighbourhood and whether you’re comparing individual units or whole student-housing properties.
 
The 95-day figure alone would not make me wait. Withdrawn and relisted stock can look very different from genuinely new listings, even when the advertised inventory seems unchanged. Service charges matter because buyers compare the ongoing cost, but condition can also mean a large bill soon after purchase. I’d separate fresh listings, reduced listings and obvious relists before drawing a demand conclusion.
 
A few missing details could change the answer: Is the 4.1% movement up or down, and over what period? Are R$2,419,000–R$3,629,000 asking prices for whole properties or individual units? Also, are the service charges directly comparable? Without the exact neighbourhood boundaries and a consistent property type, the spread may be mostly a comparison problem.
 
I’m not convinced service charges are the main driver. At this price level, buyer financing and seller motivation could explain why two similar-looking listings negotiate differently. An owner who needs a sale may cut before day 95; another may withdraw instead. Recent completed sales would be more persuasive than asking-price changes, though those can be difficult to match precisely to condition.
 
I’d build a small comparison table rather than use one Rio-wide average: exact neighbourhood, whole property versus unit, condition, service charge, first listing date, date of first price cut, and whether it later disappeared. Then compare only like with like against any recent completed sales you can verify. That should show whether the better-condition options deserve an approach now or whether new-listing volume is giving you room to wait.
 
Back
Top