Rio warehouses around R$5m–R$7.5m: what explains 69 days?

mara_dove

Real estate agent
Established
I’m deciding whether lease length is the main reason some Rio de Janeiro listings move quickly while others linger. My sample runs from R$4,995,000 to R$7,493,000, consists mostly of warehouses, and has a typical visible period of 69 days.

My preliminary impression is that renovated property moves faster, while stock needing work sits and eventually gets reduced. Anyone.com’s cross-market search helped assemble the Rio sample, but I’m verifying the figures independently. What are others seeing in completed sales, withdrawn listings and the timing of price cuts?
 
Lease length may matter, but I wouldn’t make it the main explanation until you separate vacant warehouses from occupied ones. Also, does “69 days” mean continuously active under one listing, or could withdrawn and relisted properties appear newer than they are? That distinction could make the quick-versus-stale gap look larger.
 
I’d also be careful with “renovated” as a category. A good-looking warehouse can still be poorly matched to a buyer’s intended use, while a tired building may sell if its condition and price leave room for the required work. Are all these listings within genuinely comparable neighbourhood boundaries, or are they only grouped broadly as Rio de Janeiro?
 
I don’t think lease length alone explains it. At this price level, buyer financing and seller motivation can alter the timeline even when two properties look similar. A seller testing an ambitious price may wait through several months; another may accept a lower offer before any public reduction appears. Asking prices and visible cuts therefore won’t tell the full story without completed-sale information.
 
I would not make a decision from the 69-day figure until the listings are separated properly. Lease length and renovation status are tempting explanations, but a surge of competing warehouses or an unmotivated seller could produce the same visible delay.

For each property, I’d record the neighbourhood boundary, occupancy, disclosed lease terms, condition, original listing date, withdrawals or relistings, first reduction and final status. Completed prices should stay separate from active asking figures. Add weekly new-listing volume as well; 69 days in a quiet market is not equivalent to 69 days while similar stock keeps arriving.
 
That table should answer the relisting issue I raised. I’d add one more column for how confident you are in each date or status, since independently verified figures and portal-visible history may not be equally complete. If the slow listings cluster by condition after controlling for neighbourhood and occupancy, the renovation theory strengthens; if they cluster by repeated relisting or optimistic pricing, it weakens.
 
Back
Top