Rising insurance and reserves have changed my Seoul apartment maths

theo.reed

First-time buyer
Established
The recurring building costs are now the main obstacle in my calculation. The Seoul apartment itself is priced reasonably, but higher master-policy insurance and reserve contributions leave little monthly advantage over continuing to rent.

I am inclined to underwrite the purchase using today’s charges unless the association can show a credible reason they will fall. At the same time, a healthy reserve could mean fewer surprise assessments later, so I do not want to treat every contribution as wasted money. I am reviewing exclusions, loss-assessment cover, planned works and what the monthly fee actually includes.

How would you balance that protection against the management burden and the possibility that high charges make the apartment harder to resell?
 
I’d assume the higher amount continues until the association can explain why it rose and what could make it fall. Ask for the recent contribution history, the reason for the insurance increase, the reserve balance, and any planned major work.

One caveat: reserve payments are not necessarily equivalent to rent disappearing; adequate reserves may reduce the risk of a later large call. But high recurring charges can still weaken resale appeal. Does the monthly figure include energy or other usage-based costs?
 
Back
Top