Riyadh apartment: should higher insurance and reserve costs be treated as permanent?

ellis.vale

Homeowner
I do not think the lower purchase price should settle this comparison, although it is tempting to treat the latest building charges as a temporary spike. The Riyadh apartment is affordable to buy, but higher master insurance and reserve payments now remove much of the monthly advantage over renting.

I am trying to decide what recurring figure to use when testing affordability and eventual resale. I also need to understand what caused the increases, what the reserve is expected to fund, and whether exclusions could leave owners facing further assessments. Maintenance intensity, school access and likely tenant demand matter too. Would you model the present charge as the normal case and regard any future reduction as a bonus?
 
I would underwrite it at the current charge, then run a second case with another increase. Calling it temporary gives you an upside case, not a safe base case. The more important question is why both insurance and reserve contributions rose: rebuilding costs, previous underfunding, claims, or planned work imply different future risks.
 
How large is the reserve relative to the building’s likely maintenance needs, and what does the fee actually include? Cooling, lifts, façade work, parking and common-area maintenance can make two superficially similar apartments very different. I’d also ask for the recent contribution history rather than relying only on this year’s figure.
 
Agreed, although I wouldn’t automatically reject it because the reserve payment is high. A properly funded building can be preferable to a low-fee building that later needs a large one-off contribution. The concern would be a rising fee combined with a weak reserve and deferred maintenance. That is paying more without actually reducing the risk.
 
There’s also a resale angle. Future buyers will compare the association charge with nearby apartments, even if the reserve is sensible. If the unit only looks affordable before recurring charges, the buyer pool may narrow. I’d compare total annual ownership cost, not just purchase price, against genuinely similar buildings and current rent.
 
I’d separate the school issue from the apartment maths. Confirm that the particular school option is genuinely available to your household and that the daily journey works; proximity alone may not deliver the expected benefit. Then ask whether you would still choose this unit if that school advantage disappeared. If not, you’re attaching a lot of value to one uncertain factor.
 
One caveat to the pessimistic approach: renting does not freeze your housing cost either, and a well-managed apartment may have steadier maintenance than a standalone property. Still, include the costs that are easy to overlook—energy use, internal repairs, possible vacancy if it will ever be rented out, and the time involved in dealing with management.
 
On the insurance side, I’d want the master policy and any unit-level cover compared carefully. Look at exclusions, deductibles, who pays after damage in shared areas, and whether your loss-assessment cover matches the exposure. The exact effect depends on the policy wording and local arrangements, so assumptions from another building may not transfer.
 
Oliver’s distinction is the useful one: a higher contribution can signal either stronger funding or an unresolved problem. Ask management for the current reserve balance, recent fee history, known major works, and the reason for the insurance increase. If the answers are vague, model both a further fee rise and a one-off contribution before deciding what price still works.
 
I’d turn that into three simple scenarios: current monthly charge, a moderate increase, and current charge plus a major unexpected contribution. Add a conservative resale period or vacancy period as well. If buying only beats renting in the most optimistic scenario, the purchase price probably does not work as well as it first appears. If it survives the stressed case and the school access is confirmed, the higher reserve may be acceptable.
 
Back
Top