Riyadh townhouse: raise rent or retain a reliable tenant?

mina_west

Property investor
I’ve been weighing this for 75 days and want a consistent process rather than making an emotional call. Asking rent for similar Riyadh townhouses appears close to SAR 13,740, while mine is about SAR 12,200. The tenant pays reliably, looks after the property and has no troubling maintenance history. Would you propose a modest increase, or accept the gap once vacancy, refurbishment and tenant screening are considered? I also want to follow local notice rules and keep the relationship constructive.
 
I would not chase the full asking figure. A reliable tenant has measurable value: even a short vacancy plus preparation for a new occupant could absorb much of the difference. Present a smaller adjustment before renewal, explain that it reflects the market, and leave room for discussion. First confirm the notice requirements that apply to your current agreement.
 
How comparable is SAR 13,740? Same neighbourhood, townhouse size, condition and maintenance responsibilities—or just nearby listings? Asking rent is not necessarily achieved rent. I’d also check whether any larger repairs are approaching, because an increase lands differently if the tenant has been tolerating unresolved issues.
 
I’m less convinced that retention automatically justifies staying near SAR 12,200. If the tenant is genuinely well below like-for-like homes, postponing the issue may only make the next adjustment harder. Offer a fair increase now, but support it with relevant comparables rather than a general market impression. Put the proposal and timing in writing, while making clear that reliability and care of the home were considered.
 
Chloe’s point is fair, but calculate the break-even period before choosing the number. Compare the extra rent over the next term with a realistic vacancy period, preparation costs and the risk of a less dependable replacement. Then verify the applicable notice and renewal rules locally. Separately, keep condition records and any deposit handling clearly documented; those should not become bargaining chips in the rent discussion.
 
Back
Top