Rome 1-bed at €763,600 and €5,472 rent: where does the 8.6% gross go?

travelsAndGrove

Property investor
Established
The practical constraint is that I cannot tell whether €5,472 per month is durable income or dependent on a particular letting arrangement. The property is a new-build 1-bed flat in Rome priced at €763,600, giving a headline gross return of about 8.6%.

I have allowed for empty periods, management, ordinary upkeep and major repairs, but I may be overlooking condominium charges, property tax or acquisition costs. The reference to lease length is also unclear to me: it could concern the tenant agreement or a restriction affecting ownership. Which document or figure should I verify first, and what level of net cash flow would make the remaining risk worthwhile?
 
The arithmetic works: €5,472 × 12 is €65,664, or roughly 8.6% of €763,600. I would focus first on building or condominium charges and the property’s tax treatment. Also, does “lease length” mean the proposed tenant contract, or some limitation on your ownership? Those are very different risks.
 
Is €763,600 the complete acquisition cost or only the seller’s price? Your denominator should include transaction and initial setup costs. I’d also want to know whether €5,472 is for a conventional residential tenancy, a furnished medium-term arrangement or an average based on short stays. Management, vacancy and turnover assumptions change sharply between those models.
 
Oscar’s rental-basis question is crucial. At €5,472 for a 1-bed, a modest error in achievable rent could outweigh several smaller expense omissions. Run separate cases for the full asking rent, a reduced rent and several vacant months. Don’t let one annual average conceal how the income is actually earned.
 
I wouldn’t assume “new-build” means a negligible reserve. Routine repairs may initially be light, but common-area charges can still be meaningful, especially if the building has costly shared facilities. Ask for the building budget, what the owner pays versus the tenant, and whether any major communal expenditure is already being discussed.
 
Keep financing out of the first net-yield calculation, then add it as a separate layer. That shows whether the property itself works before debt. Afterward, stress the payment against lower rent, vacancy and a change in borrowing cost. A deal with good unlevered cash flow can still become uncomfortable if financing leaves little monthly buffer.
 
I slightly disagree that the repair reserve is the main unknown. For a premium-priced 1-bed, tenant turnover and reletting costs may be more damaging. A longer tenancy can reduce churn, but it may also limit how quickly income adjusts. I’d price management, advertising, cleaning or preparation, and one unplanned gap between tenants as distinct lines.
 
Insurance deserves its own quote rather than a percentage copied from another property. Confirm what the building policy covers, what remains the apartment owner’s responsibility, and whether the intended letting arrangement affects cover. The cheapest premium is not useful if the relevant risks or periods of vacancy are excluded.
 
“Rome” is still too broad to validate that rent. The exact neighbourhood, floor, lift, outdoor space, furnishing and transport access could determine whether €5,472 is repeatable or merely an optimistic listing figure. I’d ask for evidence of completed lettings for genuinely comparable 1-beds, not larger units or advertised rents.
 
Property tax and the tax treatment of rental income could materially alter what reaches you, but that depends on ownership circumstances and the letting structure. Get an Italy-specific estimate based on this exact property rather than applying a generic percentage. Also clarify which recurring building costs can actually be passed to the tenant under the proposed contract.
 
Build a simple annual waterfall: contracted rent, vacancy, non-payment allowance, management, reletting, owner-paid building charges, insurance, property tax, maintenance and reserve. Divide what remains by the full acquisition cost. Then calculate how many vacant months would reduce cash flow to zero after financing; that is often more revealing than the headline yield.
 
My screening hurdle would be around 6% net before financing and personal income tax, provided the rent is supported by comparable completed lettings. On the stated purchase price, 6% is €45,816 a year. Against gross rent of €65,664, that leaves €19,848 for vacancy and operating costs. If full acquisition costs raise the denominator, or realistic expenses exceed that allowance, I’d pass or renegotiate.
 
Back
Top