Rome 1-bed duplex at €211,600 and €1,233/month — does it hold up?

romy.oak

Property manager
Established
I can either accept the advertised rent and test a cautious expense model, or reduce the rent assumption before doing anything else. Neither is comfortable when one input could decide whether the deal works.

The property is a 1-bed duplex in Rome priced at €211,600, with projected rent of €1,233 a month. That produces €14,796 a year and a headline gross yield of about 7.0%. I have allowed for vacancy, management, ordinary maintenance and a substantial repair, but the building’s shared costs could still upset the calculation even if the unit itself is sound.

Which Rome expense or insurance item deserves the closest check? I’d also be interested in the minimum net return others would require once the rent has been verified against achieved long-term comparables.
 
The first place I’d look is the condominium rather than the apartment itself. Ordinary charges matter, but planned work to the roof, façade, lift or shared systems can overwhelm a normal maintenance allowance. Ask for the recent accounts, unpaid balances and any proposed extraordinary works. Also clarify which condominium costs are actually recoverable from the tenant.
 
Is €1,233 an achieved long-term rent for a comparable duplex, or an asking figure? Also, does it include any tenant-paid building charges? A small difference there affects the result more than debating whether the repair reserve should be slightly higher.
 
I wouldn’t start by choosing a net-yield target. First turn this into annual cash flow after property tax, insurance, management, vacancy, owner-paid condominium costs, repairs and rental taxation. Purchase costs also increase the capital committed, so the true yield on total cash invested will be below the advertised 7.0% even before financing.
 
That is fair, although a target is still useful for rejecting weak deals. I’d run three cases: full expected rent with routine costs, a turnover year with vacancy and refresh work, and a bad year combining vacancy with an extraordinary building charge. If the investment only looks acceptable in the first case, the margin is too thin.
 
Agreed on the scenarios, but I’d separate recurring yield from one-off acquisition costs and exceptional works. Otherwise it becomes hard to compare this property with alternatives. Show both: stabilized net operating yield on the €211,600 price, and cash return on the full amount invested. If there is debt, add a separate interest-rate and refinancing stress test.
 
Insurance deserves a closer look because “building insurance” and cover for the individual unit may not address the same risks. For a duplex, I’d also inspect the internal stair arrangement and any upper-level water exposure rather than treating it exactly like a simple one-floor flat. Tenant turnover can mean repainting, minor repairs and another letting fee in the same period.
 
I’m not convinced management belongs in every version of the base case. If Gabriel is able to deal reliably with tenants and local trades, self-management is a real scenario; if distance or availability makes that impractical, the full management cost should be included from the outset.

Vacancy should be treated the same way rather than adjusted until the return looks acceptable. I’d ask for evidence from comparable long-term lets: time between tenancies, recent achieved rents and any repeated letting fees. Those facts should show whether a self-managed case is credible and what vacancy allowance the numbers can support.
 
Before deciding, I’d request a written breakdown of the €1,233 rent assumption, current condominium charges, planned shared-building work, applicable property tax, insurance quotes and realistic management terms. Then calculate net cash flow with and without financing. My concern is not that 7.0% gross is automatically poor, but that several modest deductions could leave little compensation for an illiquid asset and an expensive repair year.
 
Back
Top