Rome 165 m² apartment at €345,000: how would you adjust the comparables?

coffeeAndGrain

Market analyst
Established
Market Reporter
With one completed sale and three active listings, I do not have enough evidence to justify precise adjustments. The apartment is a roughly 165 m², three-bedroom property in Rome, in average condition and offered at €345,000. I like its position and natural light, although the dated interior and possible vacancy costs count against it.

My base case assumes no appreciation, but treating all 165 m² at one rate feels too crude. An efficient layout may deserve a different adjustment from nominal floor area that adds little practical use. Parking and outdoor space could also be worth more than a general condition allowance.

How would you weight those features, service charges and any existing lease or remaining lease term? I will obtain a local appraisal, but first I want to know which missing fact is most likely to invalidate the rough valuation.
 
My rough starting point is about €2,091 per m², but I’m reluctant to apply a blanket percentage to the full 165 m². I also don’t yet have enough detail on service charges, parking, outdoor space, or whether there is an existing lease. Those could make the headline comparison misleading.
 
The exact micro-location would change my view more than a generic condition allowance. Rome can vary sharply within a fairly short distance. Are the completed sale and the apartment genuinely comparable for street, floor, light and building quality? Also, does access to the apartment involve an elevator? At 165 m², differences in usable layout matter too.
 
I would give the completed sale the most weight, provided it is recent and genuinely nearby, then use the three listings mainly to understand current seller expectations. For condition, separate cosmetic work from uncertain larger items rather than calling everything “dated.” Kitchens, bathrooms and finishes are one category; building or apartment systems may be another. Without that detail, a percentage adjustment looks more precise than the evidence supports.
 
I’m less convinced that the completed sale automatically deserves dominant weight. One transaction can be unusual, and we do not know its circumstances. I’d compare all four properties in a simple table: internal area, floor, lift access, light, outdoor space, parking, condition, service charges, occupancy and micro-location. Any remaining lease term and the cost or timing of obtaining vacant possession could materially affect the figure.
 
For floor area, avoid assuming that every additional square metre contributes at the same rate. A larger apartment may have corridors, oversized rooms or an inefficient plan, so compare usable accommodation as well as total area. Next steps: obtain the sold price details, confirm how each area was measured, request service-charge and occupancy information, and price the necessary works item by item. Then run a base case and a higher-cost condition case rather than forcing one adjustment range.
 
Back
Top