Rome 5-bed at €989,000 and €5,001 monthly rent — does the net return work?

travelsAndGrove

Property investor
Established
I’d like this Rome investment to produce a dependable long-term return, but the margin may be too thin once the less visible costs are counted. It is a 5-bed detached home priced at €989,000, with expected rent of €5,001 a month and a gross yield near 6.1%.

The property appears sound. My model allows for empty periods, management, ordinary upkeep and a separate repair reserve, though rental regulation remains a material uncertainty. I also need to test how the result changes under different financing costs rather than judging it on the headline yield alone. Which property-specific expense deserves the closest check, and what net return would make the vacancy and maintenance exposure worthwhile?
 
The annual rent is €60,012, so the advertised yield calculation is sound. The problem is how little room 6.1% leaves once everything is included. I would focus on property tax, insurance and irregular exterior or systems work rather than routine maintenance alone. Get property-specific figures; broad Rome estimates could be misleading.
 
Also, what tenancy model produces the €5,001 figure? A single long-term household, room-by-room letting and shorter stays have very different turnover, management and regulatory exposure. For a large detached home, I would want evidence that the expected tenant pool supports that rent consistently, not merely an asking-price comparison.
 
The exact part of Rome matters enormously for a detached house. Tenant demand can turn on transport, parking, outdoor space and the cost of running the home. Is the €5,001 furnished or unfurnished, and are any utilities or services included? Those details can make the apparent rent difficult to compare with other listings.
 
I’m not convinced regulation is automatically the biggest risk here. The rent assumption may be more important. €5,001 is unusually precise, so I would ask how it was produced and whether comparable properties actually achieved similar rents. Run the deal with a rent reduction and a longer void rather than letting one optimistic number drive the purchase.
 
For costs, build the worksheet from actual local quotations: any municipal property charge applicable to your circumstances, building and liability insurance, garden or exterior upkeep, servicing of major systems, accounting, tenant placement, legal or compliance work, and utilities during vacancies. A detached home may avoid some shared-building charges while putting more maintenance directly on the owner.
 
Keep the property return and financing return separate. First calculate net operating income before debt, then model cash flow after interest and repayments. A deal that looks acceptable without borrowing can become fragile if financing costs rise or refinancing terms disappoint. I would test whether it remains cash-flow positive after simultaneous rent, vacancy and financing pressure.
 
Personally, I would want about a 4% conservative unlevered net yield here before considering appreciation. On €989,000 that means roughly €39,560 of annual net operating income. Against €60,012 gross rent, you therefore have only about €20,452 for vacancy and all operating costs. That is the spending limit I would test, not the 6.1% headline.
 
The denominator should eventually be total acquisition cost, not just €989,000. Until transaction and setup costs are known, even the net-yield estimate is incomplete. I would also turn “one larger repair” into separate life-cycle allowances for the roof, structure, plumbing, electrical and heating or cooling systems, informed by a proper inspection.
 
Ines’s 4% test makes the issue clear. If €20,452 has to cover vacancy, management, tax, insurance, maintenance and turnover, there may not be much contingency left. Maria also needs to clarify whether €5,001 is rent received by the owner or a figure that includes utilities or other tenant charges.
 
For the Rome-specific items, I’d request three written figures before deciding: a property-tax calculation based on the actual property and proposed ownership/use, an insurance quotation, and a management proposal showing exactly what is included. Italian tax treatment can depend on the circumstances, so the seller’s current outgoings may not represent the buyer’s future cost.
 
Don’t model low turnover and top-of-market rent at the same time unless the evidence supports both. A 5-bed detached home could attract longer stays, but the replacement tenant pool may also be narrower. Add a scenario combining marketing time, a rent concession and repainting or minor repairs between tenancies.
 
My decision rule would be simple: verify the €5,001 with achieved-rent evidence, price every major operating line locally, and calculate break-even occupancy. At a 4% net target on the purchase price, annual costs cannot exceed about €20,452 before financing; using total acquisition cost makes the limit tighter. If the deal only works with full occupancy and minimal repairs, I would pass.
 
Back
Top