Rome small multifamily: does vacancy create negotiating room?

FriendlyJournal

Homeowner
Established
I’m comparing a small sample of Rome small multifamily listings from roughly €566,700 to €850,100. The midpoint is about €708,400, with indicated price movement of +3.0%. Median marketing time is near 86 days, although differences in condition make that figure noisy.

What I can’t settle is how to treat empty units. Are buyers using vacancy to negotiate, or simply rejecting the building and moving on? Listing volume has increased, but there still aren’t many properties I would actually buy.
 
Vacancy alone is a weak bargaining point. The stronger argument is what caused it and what the buyer must spend or wait for before the unit produces income. An empty unit needing major work is different from a ready unit between occupants.

Are you also counting buildings that were withdrawn and relisted? That could distort both the 86 days and the apparent growth in available stock.
 
Good distinction. I mean one or more units empty when the building is marketed, not a general Rome vacancy figure. My sample may indeed miss withdrawn and relisted stock, so I won’t treat 86 days as continuous exposure without checking.

I’m now trying to separate ready-to-occupy units from those where condition plausibly explains the vacancy. Recent completed sales would help, but the listing histories alone don’t answer whether sellers accepted a discount.
 
I’d be cautious with the +3.0% as well. A small Rome sample can change character just by crossing a neighbourhood boundary or adding one renovated building. Completed sales should be matched as closely as possible by location, unit count and condition; otherwise the movement may reflect a different mix rather than genuine appreciation.
 
There’s also a counterpoint: some buyers may prefer vacancy because it gives them flexibility, while occupied units may be valued mainly for immediate income. So I wouldn’t automatically subtract for every empty unit.

Track when each price cut occurs. A vacant building cut after a long marketing period tells you more about seller motivation than an unchanged asking price on day 20.
 
Buyer financing could complicate that comparison too. Two apparently similar offers may not look equal to a seller if one has more financing uncertainty. I’d record asking-price changes, days listed, visible condition, occupied versus empty units, and whether the property disappears without a recorded sale. That last group may reveal how much of the “extra supply” is not genuinely available at an acceptable price.
 
The practical answer seems to be: negotiate on the consequences of vacancy, not the word itself. For each candidate, estimate the work needed, the period with no income, and whether the seller has already cut the price or relisted. Then compare that with tightly matched completed sales inside the same neighbourhood boundary.

If the seller offers no concession, a ready vacant unit may still be worthwhile; a poor-condition vacant unit priced like a finished one is easier to leave behind.
 
Back
Top