Rotterdam 5-bed duplex: do these rental numbers hold up?

hugo.chase

Market analyst
Market Reporter
Getting the service charges or financing assumptions wrong could turn this first rental into a monthly cash drain. The property is a five-bedroom duplex in Rotterdam at €423,200, with projected rent of €1,917 a month and a gross yield near 5.4%.

I have included vacancy, management, ordinary upkeep and money for a substantial repair, but I still do not know what sits inside the building charges or whether major expenditure is expected. Before deciding what return is adequate, which missing local cost would you verify first? Would the service-charge accounts and planned-works information be enough to model it properly, or is there another document that matters more?
 
Service charges are the first item I’d unpack rather than treating them as one fixed deduction. Ask for a breakdown, what is included, and whether any major building work is anticipated. Then add insurance and property tax separately so nothing is counted twice or omitted. At €1,917 monthly, the gross annual rent is €23,004, so there is not much room for vague estimates. Is your yield calculated on purchase price alone or total acquisition cost?
 
I wouldn’t set a target net yield until financing is included. A deal can look acceptable without debt and become cash-flow negative if borrowing costs rise or tenant turnover creates a longer gap than expected. I’d run three versions: current assumptions, one vacant period plus repairs, and lower rent with higher service charges. Also verify that €1,917 is realistically achievable for this specific duplex rather than relying on a broad area estimate.
 
Back
Top